Thursday 17 July 2014

What's on the workbench today?

I have been working on several different projects simultaneously over the past week or so and so here is a brief summary:

DLP Mandolin Prototype


I have all but finished this project now, although there is still some minor adjustments to the bridge required as the string action is a little high.  Also the two pots I used for the volume and tone need replacing (I recycled a couple of very old pots and they are just not up to the job!)  I have a couple of small knobs to fit as well.  All in all the sound is great and even though it is primarily an electric instrument it still sounds good when played acoustically.

Encore Bass Refinish 


This project is all but finished, I still have to string it up and set the string height and intonation.  I am waiting for two knobs (black with a silver hat) to finish the front and a colleague has expressed a strong interest in purchasing this from me.

Ibanez Blazer Bass Re-fret


Another colleague asked me if I could install frets on an old Ibanez Blazer bass guitar he owns.  The bass was given to him some years ago without any frets as the previous owner had pulled them all out as he wanted a fretless bass.


I ordered some wide fret wire (matching the marks left by the original frets), bent it to profile and cut the 21 pieces and started installing them last night.  First I cleaned the existing slots out and I used super glue to ensure a secure hold. Next I will trim the sides and file them flush before levelling, crowning and polishing the frets to a nice shine.

Other Ongoing Projects

Elsewhere I had sprayed the two Telecaster bodies with a dark red nitrocellulose paint, I'm not happy with the finish on one of the bodies so I will attend to that before respraying and lacquering.  One of the DLP Lap Steels is finished and the other body is awaiting finishing and carving.  I have decided to finish them with Tru-Oil but I'm having too much fun playing the one I have finished to take it apart and apply the finish!

No comments:

Post a Comment