Sunday 11 May 2014

DLP Les Paul - 10 - Sanding, Painting, Sanding, Painting!

It was back in February when I last updated this blog on the progress of the DLP Carved Top Les Paul, I haven't been having a great deal of success preparing the body for paint.  Each time I apply a layer of primer it would start to peel.  Small lines would appear and then swell into a split.  So I have been constantly sanding back, filling and then priming in an effort to get rid of the imperfections.


Gradually all the patient sanding and filling started to pay off and the splits became less frequent... but equally frustrating!


I have ended up using several different primers and sealers (all compatible thankfully) giving a rather psychedelic effect! I eventually sprayed a couple of coats of clear lacquer over everything and left it to cure for a week or two before carrying on.


Today I applied 3 uniform coats of grey primer.  Hopefully I shouldn't see anymore splits and can start thinking of applying the colour.  This body will be black.  I have already primed and painted the neck black and applied several coats of nitrocellulose clear lacquer.  This will have to wait a couple of weeks before I can wet sand and buff.


The body will be black and all the hardware will be chrome, nothing too fancy but hopefully quietly stylish!

No comments:

Post a Comment