Saturday 5 April 2014

DLP Mandolin - 9 - Installing The Frets

I glued a piece of laminate to the head of the neck, it matches the body and should pull the look together nicely.  There is still a little more fine sanding to do and the slot for the nut needs a little more refinement but before that I want to install the frets. 


I cut 21 pieces of fret wires and tapped each one in one by one.  I used a little glue in each slot wiping away the excess with a slightly damp cloth as I went along.  I found it very fiddly as the fret wire I used is much finer than the wire I use on the guitars I build.


I also found that the wire tended to want to bend away from the slot once one end was in.  I normally tap the middle of the fret in first and then the two ends but that  method didn't work very well so I found that if I secured one end and then the other before the middle they seemed to fit nice and secure.


Once all the frets were installed I trimmed the end of the frets and then filed them flush been careful not to file into the edge of the fingerboard.


With both sides leveled I took my flat file which is mounted in a wooden block which runs flush against the side of the neck and holds the file at an angle which bevels the edges of the frets.


The next job will be to carve the profile on the back of the neck, drill the holes for the machine heads and glue the neck in place.




No comments:

Post a Comment