Wednesday 26 February 2014

DLP Mandolin - 2 - Making Templates

I have been continuing work on my Mandolin design and have created two basic templates, one for the neck and another for the body shape.  The neck will have an angled head (scarf joint) and will be set into the body.  It will incorporate a truss rod as well.  


The body will have a top and a bottom glued to a 'skeleton' made of pine.  This will have two large chambers routed out of it to give the instrument a semi acoustic quality although it will primarily be an electric Mandolin.  The blank is joined and glued (made from 4 pieces of wood I had in the garage!) and I will make another template specifically for the chamber routing.


I have made a couple of Ukuleles and used standard guitar fret wire on the neck, but I think I need to use a thinner gauge of fret wire as it is very easy to apply too much pressure when fretting the notes making the instrument sound out of tune.  I haven't though much about a pick guard yet or if I will set the neck at an angle (probably will though) but it depends if I decide to go with the original idea of a floating bridge and tail piece or a hard tail bridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment