Monday 24 February 2014

DLP Mandolin - 1 - Planning For Something Different

Last year I built 2 Ukuleles, a semi hollow 'Flying-V' and an electric Telecaster style ukulele.  They were both fun projects and both instruments were made primarily to practice some of the skills I was learning and to give to my two little boys.  As the weather is holding me back from finishing the other main projects I'm working on at the moment I decided to design and build a Mandolin both to pass the time and to explore new directions.


So I did a little research (half an hour on Google!) and decided I am not skilled enough yet to build a Gibson  F-5 arch top style instrument, and the same applies to the more traditional rounded back Mandolins, so I though I would create something original using my own design.  So using a large round lid from a sweet tin I set about designing the DLP Mandolin.


The plan I came up with is based around the materials I have left in the garage!  That is a piece of veneered MDF big enough for a back and front and some strips of Pine which will be sandwiched between to form the middle of the body.  I have a piece of Mahogany to use as the set neck but I'm still to decide what to use for the fingerboard, although in another project I have used Mahogany as the fingerboard so depending on the success of that project may define if I do the same on this instrument.


I plan to put in 2 of my 'signature' 'F' holes in the front so the body will be semi-hollow.  I will start by making templates for the main body shape and the body cavities.  I also plan to install some electronics because I anticipate this will primarily be an electric instrument although the body will give some acoustic resonance.  I have not yet decided if this will be via a coil pickup or a pickup built into the bridge.  The bridge will be a floating type with a tail piece to secure the strings.  I also will use my own headstock design.


The first could of boards have been glued up and left to set over night, another 2 will be added later to make up the skeleton.  I am also making progress on the template for the body.  So far this is a fun and exciting diversion and I am looking forward to sharing my progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment