Thursday 6 February 2014

DLP Guitars Telecaster Pick Guard Design

There is nothing wrong with the pick guard on a standard Fender Telecaster, it's functional in so much as it stops scratches to the paintwork and covers the routing for the neck pickup cavity etc.  The Thinline and Custom versions have different pick guards but most modern originals copies feature the same design created 60 years ago.


I wanted to create something a little different and something that gives my guitars their own identity whilst keeping to the same basic design of the original Telecaster.  So I created my own cutout design on Thinline style guitars and also played with the idea of a different style of pick guard.


I put the pick guard design into practice on a Telecaster style ukulele i made for my son.  It incorporated the volume and tone controls as well as covering the routing for the pickup.  It was a good idea but the control knobs do tend to get in the way and need to be replaced with something a little less obstructive.  however I like the aesthetics.  


The problems with the control knobs wont be an issue with a full size telecaster as the I always planned to stick to the original Fender design.


So I have mocked up a couple of different designs out of card.  The first design below doesn't reach all the way the the edge of the guitar by the control panel and the second is longer but reaches all the way the the edge.


 I think the proportions are correct in the example above but not the overall size, it needs to reach the both edges I think.  The design below is better but not fat enough and does not compliment the original curves of the Telecaster design.


I will keep working until I get the design exactly how I want it, but i would love to hear your opinion on the design... Good or bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment