Thursday 30 January 2014

DLP Les Paul - 7 - Marking Up For The Machine Heads

Last night I wanted to mark the positions accurately on head for the machine heads ready for drilling.  I drew a plan a couple of months ago so it's just a simple case of transferring the dimensions to the face of the head.


I did not want to damage the head so I wrapped it in very thin tracing paper.  This made it easy to mark out the positions with out leaving any pencil marks on the head.  I was careful not to press too hard to prevent any lines showing on the veneer once I removed the paper.


Once everything was laid out and double checked (measure twice cut once!!!) I used a compass to pierce the tracing paper and mark the veneer.  I then removed the tracing paper and highlighted the marks making them easier to see.


At some point I will make a template but for now this method worked just fine.  I will wait for the machine heads to arrive just to double check everything and then drill the holes.

No comments:

Post a Comment