Tuesday 28 January 2014

DLP Les Paul - 6 - Pickup Cavities

Over the weekend I marked up the positions of the pickups on the Les Paul body and started off by drilling out the majority of the material using a Forstner bit.  I used a piece of black tape on the shank of the bit to use as a depth guide and used my hand drill.


Once I had removed the majority of the material I used a sharp chisel to remove the rest.  It seemed quicker and tidier that setting up the router.  I will make a routing template for a humbucker cavity at some point but for now this method will do fine.


I gave the back of the body a coat of primer as well, it helps to pick out the imperfections easier so i know where any filler is needed.  As you can see below a fair bit was required and I'm sure that's not the end of it either.


I have also drilled a pilot hole ready for the toggle switch, I need a cover and a switch first so I know the exact dimensions to route out for the switch cavity.

No comments:

Post a Comment