Monday 18 November 2013

Telecaster III - 9 - Installing The Truss Rod

I ended up planing another 2 pieces of wood with a concave curve so I can route the truss rod channel under the fret board rather than through the back of the neck.  There is a 1/4" drop from the end of the neck to the centre and back again.  I mounted the two pieces parallel to each other on a board and then realised my router bit was not going to reach so I added a block of wood for the neck to sit on.


I then used dowels to keep the neck in position with a little card to make everything snug.  This proves to be a problem as after the 3rd pass the card started to move meaning the neck moved a little.  This is why i wanted to route under the fret board to hide any mistakes... although I should have really practiced with a piece of scrap first.


I drilled a hole at the nut end to accommodate the anchor and stopped a couple of inches short of the body end and drilled a hole for the adjustment nut.  I then made a slot at the body end to allow me to install a washer to spread the pressure from the adjustment nut.


I fashioned a hardwood fillet to cover the truss rod slot and clamped it up to dry been careful to avoid getting any glue on the truss rod itself.  I will plane this level once the glue has dried before fitting the finger board.

No comments:

Post a Comment