Thursday 24 October 2013

Telecaster III - 7 - Making The Neck Pocket

I have ordered some parts for this guitar including a truss rod for the neck, so I think it's time to crack on so I'm ready to paint and assemble when everything arrives.  Tonight I trimmed the end of the oak neck blank and rounded the corners.  I could have kept the end of the neck square as I intended to chisel out the neck pocket rather than route the hole.  So the choice is one of style not practicality. 


Once I was happy with the end of the neck I laid out the neck pocket on the body.  The first thing I noticed was that I had been a little too generous staying clear of the line when I cut out the body, meaning the neck sits in a pocket which surrounds the neck in the cut out, normally a Telecaster neck is not supported in this way.


I will have a think about this, maybe I will leave it as a unique feature or maybe I will shape the cut out to be more like a regular Telecaster body.


The surrounded neck will do no harm the sound transmission.  I used a fine saw to score and cut the edges of the neck pocket then carefully took away the material in the pocket gradually moving into the body.


Almost there... The pocket is nice and tight and will need a lot of fine tuning, but it is well past midnight so time to call it a night.  The neck goes about halfway into the pocket at the moment, I'm regretting making the neck round now!


No comments:

Post a Comment