Tuesday 8 October 2013

Another Ukulele Project - Fretting Over Frets

I have been coating the little Telecaster fret board with Tru-Oil for the past week or so gradually building up a nice shine, tonight I decided to finally put the frets in as I am happy with the look and feel of the fret board now.


I was determined to make a good job of the frets and not to damage the fret board whilst installing the frets... the best laid plans of mice and men and all that... I learned tonight that the more accurate I cut the fret wire to size the more chance I have of it not going in properly.  If I cut the frets about 4mm oversize each end giving me quite an overhang they go in easily.


The fret board split in one place so I had to hastily glue it back in place and finally managed to install the frets without too many marks or blemishes on the fret board.  Practice makes perfect... I need more practice!  I then used my bench grinder to bring the frets almost level with the sides and then my home-made fret beveller to smooth the frets to a nice angle.  

No comments:

Post a Comment