Monday 7 October 2013

Another Round Of Painting

I had a chance this weekend to get the paint gun out again and continue finishing the 3 guitars I have hanging in the garage, this is the Encore Bass, Stratocaster and DLP Les Paul prototype.  I noticed some very fine hairline cracks appearing in all 3 bodies and can only assume it is to do with the moisture content in the wood causing the bodies to change shape slightly and allowing the paint to crack?


So I sanded these imperfections out and then re-coated each body.  Each guitar has received 3 coats of colour this weekend separated by about  15 minutes between coats.


I removed the masking around the binding on the Les Paul Prototype and carefully scraped the binding with a razor sharp craft knife blade  revealing a nice contrast between the slightly off white binding and the black front and sides.


I haven't revealed all of the binding on the front of the guitar, just a very thin border about 1mm all the way round.  The effect is very subtle but pleasing.


Hopefully i will be able to start applying the clear coats this weekend if the weather stays warm enough although I have installed a heater in my garage to try and maintain a constant temperature down there.

No comments:

Post a Comment