Tuesday 10 September 2013

General Guitar Stuff - Next Project and Beyond

Before I started the DLP Les Paul Prototype I contemplated making two guitars at the same time running each process parallel using slightly different materials.  However once I started building a Les Paul style guitar I realised just how much work was involved compared to the Telecaster builds especially on the neck so I decided just to concentrate on the prototype.


As that project and others approach completion I and starting to think about what to build next.  I have two guitars in mind, firstly I want to make another Les Paul style guitar learning from mistakes I made on the first prototype so I have glued up a couple of boards to make the body blank.


This body will be painted so I'm not too bothered about the wood I use, I'm not sure of the species I'm using, but I know the two main pieces are made from a reclaimed scaffold board... I had to plane off concrete! The 2 extra pieces are added just to accommodate the width of the body.


The plank is actually very resonant so while I might sound a little nonchalant about the choice of wood it actually had a nice tap tone.I'm still thinking about making a hollow Les Paul with a flat top, maybe this will be the one.



Also on my radar is a signature DLP Telecaster featuring a thinline body with a unique 'f-hole' and a one off design pick guard.  The intention is to also feature a P90 pickup at the neck and a single coil at the bridge, traditional controls and a vintage ashtray bridge.


I have set aside some wood for this as well and have started planing the planks ready to join to make the body blank.  If this turns out well then it's my intention to focus on T-Style bodies and necks producing both hollow and solid body versions of the DLP Signature Telecaster.  i think to stand out in the market place I would need to produce something different and this might be it.


No comments:

Post a Comment