Sunday 1 September 2013

DLP Les Paul Prototype - 25 - Fret Markers and Neck Shaping

First thing this morning I started laying out the neck ready for the fret side markers.  I want to use black markers on the front and the side of the neck to stand out as a contrast to the light oak.


I found a piece of 3mm diameter black plastic rod ( I used to use it to stir pain with!).  I have drilled holes and used super glue to hold the rods in place.


Once the glue has set I sanded the fret markers level, they are a little blurry at the moment but will look better once the neck has been final sanded ready for finishing.


Next I'm onto the neck shaping.  The plan is to mark the neck into sections and then file the material away at each end to each mark then use a plane to remove the stock in the middle.

 .
Firstly I want to finish off the neck profile.  I need the thickness of neck to be correct and there is a lot of material to remove so firstly I start at the head end


Once I have the thickness at the head even I can start planing the neck to the correct thickness.  There are a lot of shavings!


Getting there slowly but surely...


Now I have the thickness across the neck I can start laying out lines from the centre of the neck 5mm apart from each other.


Next I use a rasp file to remove material at each end and on both sides of the neck.


With material removed at both ends I can now use a plane to joint the tow ends.


It takes a long time this way but should ensure a nice even curve.  That's enough for today.




No comments:

Post a Comment