Sunday 4 August 2013

Tonight in the Workshop

Rather than specifics I thought I would just mention a couple of odd jobs I have been keeping busy with the past couple of nights.  Firstly I continue to refine the edges of the DLP Les Paul prototype ready for final colour coats (I still haven't decided what colours to use yet!).


I have a bit of silver spray paint in the garage so I added a very light coat to the back cover just to get some idea of the contrast.


Looking down the workshop you can see a Telecaster style guitar on the bench (Luke) and one in the far right corner (Scraps), I am setting the action up on both of them starting with the nut action.  I have had to make a new  nut for Scraps as I had filled to old one too deep and it broke when I attempted to remove it!


I used an opaque piece of plastic for the new nut then calculated the distances between the screens using an online calculator at http://www.manchesterguitartech.co.uk/fret-and-nut-calculators/nut-calculator/ which gave me nice accurate measurements to work with.


A colleague from work asked me to see if I could do anything with an acoustic guitar which had developed a split on the front from the bridge to the edge by the strap button.  This is not uncommon as it is directly on the joint.  I tried to bring the two sides of the split back together again firstly by using adhesive plastic tape to try and gently draw the crack together.  This had no effect so I tried a couple of clamps across the front.


The clamps had no effect either so I looked a little closer at the front and noticed the grain was very pronounced, almost like corduroy in places.  This lead me to think the split has been caused because the wood had dried out too much.  So I will attempt to re-hydrate the body and see if the split will close up of it's own accord.  I have put a wet sponge in a perforated plastic bag and dropped that inside the body as well as a pan of water close to the body.


My Stratocaster body got a little attention tonight as well.  I was not happy with the finish so I had sanded it back and applied several coats of red paint.  Tonight I rubbed everything down with wire wool just to smooth away the over spray.  


I have ordered an air compressor as I  have decided all my painting from now on must be done with an air brush as it is just too expensive to keep buying spray cans all the time, and the cheap cans of paint come with their own problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment