Thursday 29 August 2013

Encore Bass Refinish - 1 - Got to Start Somewhere

Today I started a new project which will run simultaneously with the DLP Les Paul  build.  I purchased a second hand bass guitar from a junk shop many years ago which has always been in need of a little TLC.


The picture is old but you should get the general idea.  This is a shot from the late 1990's of the Encore bass featuring a gloss black finish, a single split pickup, volume and tone controls and a front output jack.
One of the machine heads was damaged when I purchased this guitar, I remember buying a second hand replacement from a music shop in Birmingham which had a larger back than the rest so I had to drill new holes for it.  I will fill all the holes on the back of the head and put some new tuners in their place.


Everything came apart very easily and nothing looks damaged.  The guitar has aged very well although it hasn't had that much ware since I bought it.


There was a small piece of packing under the neck which I will save and re-use if required upon re-assembly.


I will almost certainly paint this black again so I will not completely strip the paintwork back to bare wood.  There are a few dinks and knocks on the body and neck which I will deal with later.


I think this is a great body shape, maybe I will copy the outline and make a template for future projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment