Thursday 29 August 2013

DLP Les Paul Prototype - 23 - Laying Out The Frets

I think laying out and cutting the frets on a new neck is both thrilling and terrifying at the same time, one mistake can cause big problems but at the same time everything starts to come together.


I taped a copy of a Les Paul neck to the blank to use as a guide but disappointingly the copy was slightly different to the actual plans I am working to.  The scale was slightly off however I still used the image as a guide.


In the end I attached a tape measure to the neck and measured from the end of the neck where the nut meets the fingerboard and carefully marked out the frets in 2 positions on the neck then joined the lines.


Next I will cut the frets using my mitre box as a guide.  I have cut a new slot in the end of the box as the existing ones are a little worn and made by a much wider saw blade than the one I will be using to cut the fret slots.

No comments:

Post a Comment