Monday 26 August 2013

DLP Les Paul Prototype - 20 - Attaching The Fingerboard

Last night I glued the oak fingerboard to the neck blank after sanding everything smooth.  The glue set over night and I was able to remove the clamps and plane the fingerboard level to the neck.


I haven't slotted the frets yet, really I should have don this because it is easier to square up the slots on a rectangular piece of wood than an angled one sitting on a neck blank.


The contrast is nice, however I still intend to paint the neck black, however when I see the wood like this the temptation is to leave it looking natural.


The oak even has some woodworm holes in it!  These are filled with a bit of sawdust and super glue, I used the mahogany sawdust to make them stand out, these will not be painted black and should therefore be embraced not hidden.


I think the next order of the day will be to slot the neck for frets, then start removing some of that wood and make a nice profile.


No comments:

Post a Comment