Wednesday 14 August 2013

DLP Les Paul Prototype - 16 - Headstock Layout

Last night I laid out my idea for a headstock on a piece of paper, I had intended to use this as a template but it is just as easy to copy the layout from the dimensions I marked out on the piece of paper.  I can always make a template later when I go into mass production!


With the clamps removed I started to sand smooth the head.  There is plenty of spare material to lay the head out on but I need to us a little filler otherwise I will be sanding all day.  


 Sorry if you don't like filler on a guitar headstock... but look at it this way, I plan to paint it so it will be invisible and if I didn't paint I would put a veneer over the front anyway!


After a little more sanding I laid out the headstock shape on the blank.  It is a nice simple shape and although it looks completely different to a Gibson or Epiphone headstock it shares pretty much the same footprint in terms of its overall dimensions. 


Next I need to rough out the blank and take some of the width out of the top of the neck as it tapers towards the headstock.

No comments:

Post a Comment