Monday 15 July 2013

Telecaster Two - 40 - Wiring and Caps

The final component arrived today, the jack socket.  It was nice but I didn't like the way it was supposed to fit in the hole relying on a tab which fitted behind the cup and held everything in place without any screws.  That's a recipe for disaster in my opinion so I drilled two small holes and mounted the cup and jack socket.


Next I had a look at the wiring.  I had already wired the switch up backwards so it selected the neck pickup when moved towards the volume control and visa versa so I corrected that.  Then I removed the capacitor and experimented with a couple of different value capacitors I had in my electronics box finally settling for a old polyester "Tropical Fish" capacitor.


I'm not sure what the value is but it seemed to produce the nicest range of sounds and has a smooth transition from maximum tone to none. (22,0000 pF I think)


I tidied up the wires with a little insulation tape and put the panel back in place.  The P90's definitely sound better for the capacitor swap out. That was well worth the effort.


No comments:

Post a Comment