Tuesday 2 July 2013

Telecaster Two - 34 - Pick Guard Colour

This morning I added a couple of coats of Tru-Oil to the Telecaster body and set it aside to dry while I tidied up a little.  Tidy in my garage is a relative term! But this is actually tidy for me.


I then turned my attention to the pickguard lightly sanding the front with 600 grit sandpaper to give the paint something to adhere to.  I suppose traditionally I should have fitted a black pickguard but I don't have any black spray so instead I had a look around the garage and found a can of Ford Amparo Metallic Blue paint.


I sprayed several layers leaving about 15 minutes or so between each coat.  Once everything is dry I add a couple of layers of lacquer and set it aside to dry thoroughly before buffing it to a nice glossy shine.


Now it's on the guitar I'm not too sure... But I like the thought of using old car paint on my guitar much like Leo Fender used to in the early production days back in the 1950's and while I don't want to paint the whole  guitar blue I can have a splash of colour on the pickguard as a tribute.


My mind is already starting to think about my next project... A pair of matching Les Paul Juniors springs to mind... Where is my template material?

No comments:

Post a Comment