Monday 1 July 2013

Telecaster Two - 33.3 - Darkening The Edges

Decision decided!  2 x P90's it is.  I fitted the pickguard with a couple of screws and laid out the position I wanted the neck pickup to sit in.  In theory it should be identical to the original cavity under the pickguard, however I did route this before I repositioned the neck so it might be slightly off.


The route was fine and both pickups look great so I have just got to decide how to finish the pickguard now, or maybe I will find another material to use and this one will be the template.


I like the subtle sunburst effect but the edges would look better a little darker and the effect will be enhanced.


As I have decided to do this all with stain I just have to keep adding layers around the edge, letting them dry a little then working the transitions by gently rubbing the edges in small ligth circles with a clean dry cloth.


It takes a lot of work and I keep going back and taking a little off and adding a little more, ultimately wire wool will smooth all the transitions out but it also takes some of the dye away as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment