Friday 19 July 2013

Meccano Dremel Router Base

I want to route a binding channel around the edge of current Les Paul project and I decided the my Dremel seems like the best tool for the job.  Its not too powerful and its a light tool which would seem to be ideal for the job.  I have a base which screws onto the end of the tool and it can be adjusted up or down but I need to come up with a way of holding the cutting bit in a specific place relative to the edge of the guitar. 


So it was time to get the Meccano out!  I used to play with this when I was a boy and old habits die hard.  I guess all that play leads the mind to be creative and be able to imagine solutions to engineering problems.  It didn't take long to mock up a base to hold the router base securely in place and then the adjustable yellow wheel underneath sets the location of the cutter as it is  moved around the edge of the guitar.


The base rides on the alum screw heads which isn't ideal as they could scratch the surface if too much pressure is applied.  The latest project I am working on if flat but there may be scope for adjustment should I need to route a binding channel on a body with a carved top.  Hopefully I can test this tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment