Thursday 25 July 2013

Epiphone Les Paul Special Model - 14 - Fret Levelling and Crowning

Now the paint and lacquer has completely dried I was able to sand the surface smooth with wet and dry sand paper and then use abrasive  pastes to bring the finish back on the Epiphone Les Paul Special Model.  I then decided to level and crown the frets.  I firstly straightened the neck using the truss rod and then levelled the frets with my spirit level (which has sand paper taped to the one side).  There was a lot of wear it took a little time to take the blemishes out of the affected frets.


Next I rounded the frets to the same profile as the the neck using my home made radius block and then I crowned the frets using a 3 sides file (with one of the edges ground round).  Finally I polished the frets with my Dremel and some abrasive creams to a high shine.


With the frets polished and levelled I will be able to refit all the electrics and strings and then tune and set up the guitar.  And maybe think about finding this beauty a new loving home!

1 comment: