Wednesday 10 July 2013

DLP Les Paul Prototype - 4 - Routing Continues

This morning I routed out the remaining cavity material, next I need to route a thin edge to rest the cavity cover, this includes routing a few millimetres from the centre as well which will require my routing thickness sledge jig!


Firstly I made another template and used the collar on my router as a guide.  This was enough to route a thin ridge for the panel to sit flush to the rest of the back.  I want to round over the edges on the back and I just thought I should have done this before I started removing all the middle as there wont be much for the router to rest on.


I slipped a couple of times but a little filler will sort that out, the middle needs to be neat as it will be visible when the cover is removed.  I will fill and then eventually paint inside the cavity leaving a nice smooth interior.


Some filler applied, now onto what to use as a cavity cover.  I am still liking the idea of using something transparent.


Well this is my first idea, made from part of a radiator cover.  I like the patten and the fact that the interior is visible whilst offering some protection to the electronics.  Although it can hardly be described as splash proof!


Let me know what you think... Remember this is the back of the guitar and will not be visible most of the time.  Will it affect the tone...  Will it catch on your leather jacket's buttons...  will mice nest inside the back?

No comments:

Post a Comment