Monday 8 July 2013

DLP Les Paul Prototype - 2 - Finding Some Wood

Time to get some wood together for the DLP Les Paul builds.  As I discussed earlier I would like to build 2 guitars simultaneously and so I need to see what raw materials I have around the garage.


From let to right I found a couple of nice pieces of what I think is Oak, Then there is the rest of the shelf I used to make the Telecaster neck in the previous project (mahogany?) and to the right of that is an old scaffold board which might be pine and another similar piece of pine.  The plan is to use the oak for the neck, the mahogany as the fingerboard and the scaffold boards for the body.  Surprisingly the big scaffold board has a lovely ring to it.


Next I started to think about the wood I will need for the necks, I cut 2 equal lengths and glued a smaller piece to the side of each of them, I will glue another piece to the other side to make up the head.


Meanwhile I have been working on the perimeter of the MDF body filling the edge, sanding smooth, adding a thin layer of paint and then filling any obvious voids then spraying over the top again.


I have been thinking about routing out material.  Really I should route material from the top and then glue a bookmatched front onto the body and carve it in the traditional style, however I had planned to leave the front flat using the veneer that is already on the body. So I'm thinking of routing out the back leaving a large void and then putting one big cover on the back... but somehow leaving the insides and electrics visible...


No comments:

Post a Comment