Monday 3 June 2013

Telecaster Two - 9 - Fixing Mistakes

Having cut the fret slots too wide for the fret wire too hold firmly I listened to some good advice and decided to fill the slots and recut them.  I looked around the garage and found some 'Plumbers Mait' which is a too part epoxy putty which should set nice and hard.  The fill should be invisible once the frets are installed.


It makes a mess but hopefully it will be ultimately worth it.  I then sanded off the excess putty once it had set enough and then started sanding the fretboard smooth again.


It looks like I will need to apply another application of the putty to the fret slots just to ensure they are completely filled.


While I was waiting for the putty to set I started to sand the back and middle of the body smooth and level ready to glue the front on.  I still have to commit to the final design and route the appropriate internal cavities before I glue the front on though.


That's Luke sanding down the back with me (Luke, my 10 year old son, is the 'L' in DLP Guitars!)

No comments:

Post a Comment