Monday 3 June 2013

Telecaster Two - 8 - Fret Markers

I have laid out the marks for the fret markers tonight and then had a look around the garage for inspiration trying to decide what to use as the markers. I was hoping to find some extruded cylindrical plastic or something but I didn't have much luck.  Then I noticed some aluminium tubes and thought about sinking a ring of aluminium and filling it with wood filler or something however the diameter of the tube was too wide for the upper frets! I will store the idea though...


The I noticed a jar on the shelf full of dowels about 4 inches long. Some of them looked like dense hardwood like maple so I decided to use them.  The diameter was fine for the upper frets so I drilled all the holes to the exact diameter of the dowels, dropped a little super glue into each home and tapped in a small piece into each hole leaving a portion standing proud to cut off and sand down later.


I cut the last two almost flush to the neck and then sanded them smooth before I realised that it was past midnight and I had better get off to bed as I have work tomorrow morning.


I think the two I have sanded flush look fantastic and certainly give it that 'handmade bu a craftsman' look!

No comments:

Post a Comment