Wednesday 26 June 2013

Telecaster Two - 29 - Sanding Back The Dark Oak Dye

As previously discussed, I want to have a dark stain in the background with the Indian Rosewood stain adding a reddish hue.  Tonight I sanded back a lot of the dark oak stain on the back and sides with 120 grit paper and then smoothed down to 600 grit wet and dry.


Meanwhile on the front of the guitar my experiment with producing a subtle sunburst was a limited success however not what I was hoping for.  The body now looks fire damaged!


I took a soft cloth and wiped the front of the Telecaster body with white spirit, then sanded everything smooth. another wipe with white spirit and most of the stain had gone.


There is still a hint of the dark oak on the front which I like and which goes some way towards my idea of a subtle burst.


After a couple of hours drying the back looks beautiful and the contrast with in the grain looks great.


Finally this evening I have put a coat of Tru-Oil over the body more for protection at this stage.  I still have the routing to do for the pickups and the control panel and finally through the body for the strings.


I also have to drill the holes for the tuners in the head.  Then proper finishing and put it all together.

No comments:

Post a Comment