Monday 24 June 2013

Telecaster Two - 27 - Fixing The Neck

At last I have finished fine tuning the neck pocket and fixed the neck to the body.  Look closely and you can see Luke in the neck plate!  The neck lined up perfectly with the centre line.


I confirmed this by taking a thin strip of wood about 3" long, drilling several holes up and down the length of the wood and then lining up one of the holes at the top with the 3rd fret marker and one of the holes at the bottom with the centre line.  Everything in between should line up... and it does.


Next I decided to apply a coat of stain all over.  This is where I find out if the layers of sanding sealer have done their job.  Logic would seem to dictate that I apply stain to the wood and then seal it with the sanding sealer, however the idea of applying the sanding sealer first is to ensure the wood soaks into the grain evenly.  Pine will drink wood stain and appear darker on the end grain which just looks ugly.  It may take a few coats to build up colour but it should be worth it.


The oak on the front should only take a couple of coats of stain just to give it and even rich colour.  The pine body will need several coats and I will probably have to sand back some areas, apply some more sanding sealer and apply more stain until I get a nice even deep rich colour which brings out the grain.


I am using an Indian Rosewood wood dye and apply it with a soft cloth and then quickly wipe off with a dry cloth.  I had previously wiped the surface down with white spirits just to ensure all the greasy fingermarks had been removed.


Hopefully the colour of the body will complement that of the neck.  I will let everything dry overnight and have a look tomorrow after work.

No comments:

Post a Comment