Monday 24 June 2013

Telecaster Two - 26 - Still More Neck Pocket Work

I'm still not happy with the neck pocket, when I offered the neck to the pocket the centre line was off.  It would seem my previous efforts at packing the neck pocket had snugged up the joint but left the neck off centre.


So first thing this morning I put in another piece of packing and glued it to the side of the neck pocket.


After letting it dry all day I took the clamps off tonight and used a chisel to remove some of the excess material. I then sanded the surface level and and started removing material inside the neck pocket been careful not to take too much off by offering the neck up the the pocket and checking the position and what I had already removed.


Gradually I approached a point where the neck is lined up with the body's centre line and maintained a snug fit without been too tight to split or distort the neck pocket.


Once I had the pocket how I wanted it I added a coat of sanding sealer especially around the areas I have been working.  Next I gave the neck another coat of Tru-Oil just to build the protection up a little more focusing on the areas around the heel although there was no real marks or scuffs from where I had been trying the neck in the pocket.


I do love the way the Tru-Oil brings out the grain, but this is the first time I have noticed how robust the finish is as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment