Monday 17 June 2013

Telecaster Two - 21 - Smoothing the Body and Routing a Round-Over

Tonight I decided to round over the back edge of the Telecaster body.  I selected a round-over bit and was careful not to expose too much of the cutting surface.  The bearing rides around the edge of the body ensuring a consistent smooth round-over.


I did this freehand and took my time been careful not to let the bit snatch against the grain or run away from be with the grain.


After I had finished rounding over the back edge I returned to the tedious task of sanding everything smooth going through from 80 grit sand paper to 800 wet and dry sand paper.


Once I was happy with the surface I applied a coat of sanding sealer to fill up any voids left in the grain and protect the wood and prepare for final sanding.  It is not grain filler so I had to ensure there were no huge scratches and marks.

The first coat dried almost immediately so I applied a second, once again by rubbing it in with the grain using a small piece of soft cloth.  I will leave this to dry and continue to soak in overnight and sand it smooth tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment