Saturday 15 June 2013

Telecaster Two - 19 - Grain Filler and Sanding Sealer

As well as working on the Stratocaster and my original Telecaster build I am also progressing with 'Luke' - my latest Telecaster copy.  Today I want to apply grain filler.  The grain is very pronounced on the Oak laminate and I would like to fill it because excessive sanding is not really an option.


On my first Telecaster build I did not fill the grain and I think that was a mistake.  So last night I mixed some grain filler with white spirits and rubbed the paste across the grain forcing it into all the nooks and crannies.  I left this to dry overnight and then rubbed it smooth this morning with 400 grit sandpaper.


There was still a few obvious bits I mixed first time so I mixed another batch of grain filler but this time I mixed in some dark wood stain just to give a little subtle variation.



My garage is such a mess!  I also covered the fingerboard on the neck with masking tape So I could fine sand the headstock and the back of the neck.  I worked through the grades of wet and dry paper from 400 to 600, then 800 and 1200 and finally 1500 grit wet and dry.


I put quite a thick coat of grain filler on so once it dried I used a scraper to remove the excess then sanded the surface smooth ready for a couple of coats of sanding sealer.


Hopefully this will give me a great surface to finish off later.  I managed to also apply a coat of sanding sealer to the neck as well which has already made the mahogany grain pop out.   The body front is also starting to develop some character as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment