Sunday 9 June 2013

Telecaster Two - 12 - Neck Carving

This morning I continued working on the Telecaster neck, The first order of the day was to removed some material from the headstock leaving it 15mm thick.  I set up my router to trim the wood to the correct thickness.  I used almost every clamp for this job!


Once the thickness was correct I drilled out a hole to allow access to the truss rod adjuster and then carved the nut end in a slightly unconventional way, something has to be individual and unique about this neck!


I have carved a step instead of the usual sloping transition.  Next I filled in the gaps at the edges of the frets with some super glue and sawdust.



I the started to lay out the neck ready for the carving of the profile.  Then its out with the rasp file.


I want to start the profile by taking a good chunk off each side.  I marked a centre line down the back and then another line 10mm away from the centre line at the net end and 13mm at the heel.this give me a roughly parallel guide line.  I then marked a line 10mm from the bottom of the side and then another 5mm above that.   I then carved to the parallel lines on the bottom and the 10mm at the top and bottom of the neck.


After the rasp took most of the material off I used a file to smooth out everything and then too a small plane and joined up the top and bottom carves.


More to come later (Canadian Grand Prix is about to start now though!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment