Saturday 15 June 2013

Telecaster Project - 23 - Final Finishing Touches

I want to completely finish off the 'Scrapcaster' so today I looked at what is left to do.  It goes something like this... I want to put a 'Tru-Oil' finish on the body, I'm not all that happy with the finish as it stands.  I also need to polish the frets and ensure the neck is level, set up the intonation, string height and fine tune the nut.


There is probably more but I have started with the body finish.  I have lightly sanded the front back and sides and then added a thick wet coat of Tru-Oil with a soft cloth all over.  After a couple of hours that had dried so I lightly buffed it with 0000 wire wool and then methodically rubbed in another coat with a small clean piece of rag and added a couple of drops of lemon oil just to keep things moving easily.
I will keep repeating the process until I'm happy with the build up.  The grain is not filled so I will never be able to give this a high gloss finish so my final step will be to cut the shine back a little with wire wool and then add a coat of beeswax furniture polish.


The sides have a really high gloss shine, but they are smooth unlike the front and back of the Telecaster.


I have taken the time to match screws for all the fittings, also to connect the bridge ground wire and I was not happy with the way the neck pickup was sitting in its pocket so I adjusted the mounting holes and now the pickup sits better and lines up neatly with the scratch guard. 

No comments:

Post a Comment