Friday 7 June 2013

Stratocaster Project - 5 - Wet and Dry Sanding

It's been a couple of weeks since I finished lacquering the Fender Stratocaster Kit so I decided to wet sand the body.  I started with 800 grit wet.


Still some shiny spots so I will go over everything again trying not to sand through the lacquer.


It's hard slow work letting the weight of the sanding block do all the work.  I use a soaked piece of 800 grit wet and dry paper on the sides.


Next I move up to 1200 Grit wet and dry paper.  You can feel each grade of sand paper picking up less and less and there is an audible difference as the surface is smoothed.


Next I moved onto an abrasive paste made by 'Poorboy's World'.  There are 4 grades in the sample kit I bought, I started with number 3, there is a grade 2.5, a grade 2 and fine grade 1.  Each grade of paste should remove surface scratches and swirl marks left by the wet and dry process and the previous grade of paste.  I will carry on through the grades and post an update when I can see my face in the shine!


I spent a lot of time with the last 2 grades of paste before I was happy enough to buff the Stratocaster body with a soft cloth and apply a layer of car polish.  Unfortunately the only polish I have down the garage is some old 'Color Magic' (in purple!)


After letting to polish dry to a haze I started to buff it off... and hey presto! Shine!


There are still some swirl marks but I couldn't resist putting the pick guard and the rest of the hardware on to see how it looks...


Beautiful! (in my opinion!) Cant wait to string it up and get it set up and in tune... but it is almost 01:00 in the morning so I will have to call ir a night.


No comments:

Post a Comment