Thursday 30 May 2013

Telecaster Two - 4 - Neck Profile

I will need to shape the fingerboard to an appropriate convex profile so I need a sanding block with a corresponding concave profile.  Not having one I improvised a method of creating a profile in a bloc of wood using a bicycle wheel and some sand paper! I taped sandpaper round a portion of the perimeter of the wheel then moved the block back and forth until a profile started to develop.  It seemed to work but took a lot of hard work. I ended up with a nice 14" profile!


I started to sand using the new profiled sanding block but though it best to stop as midnight approached!


I carried on after work today and I'm making some decent progress.  The profile of the fingerboard blank was already trapezium shaped so in theory all I have to do is round the top down the profile, but the wood is so hard it's taking ages and using up all my sandpaper!

I will stop for now as I'm waiting for a truss rod and until once the channel is routed I will be able to glue the fingerboard to the neck blank, then trim the sides level and then finish the profile.

No comments:

Post a Comment