Tuesday 28 May 2013

Telecaster Two - 2 - Sticking My Neck Out!

After finishing the original 'Scrapcaster' body I bolted on a neck I purchased from China for a little over £22 and the guitar was complete.  The sense of accomplishment was fantastic but in the back of my mind I knew I hadn't built the neck myself.  So this time round I intend to make my own neck.  I had a nice piece of oak (i think!) in the garage (which used to be a shelf!) so I cut a piece to length and marked out a telecaster neck shape. 


The blank has a great tone.  Just knocking on the blank while loosely suspended yields a bell like tone.


Now in the ideal world I would cut the neck and head shape out on a band saw and then sand smooth on a sanding station.  Unfortunately I don't own either so I used my circular saw to cut the majority of the length of the neck and then a coping saw to rough out the head shape.  Then its a combination of sanding blocks, scrapers and planes to get close the the required shape... And lots of elbow grease! 

No comments:

Post a Comment