Sunday 5 May 2013

Telecaster Project - 7 - Body Cavity Routing Template

Yesterday I drew an a rough idea of where I want the routed / hollowed out areas of the body and this morning I started to make a routing template.


It didn't take long to copy the idea out onto a piece of hardboard.  I used my jigsaw to cut out the general shape. No need to be too accurate around the outside as long as the centre line is accurate.


Everything lines up perfect, I then applied some filler to the inside of the template so ensure I have a nice smooth surface for the router bearing to roll against.


Once the filler had dried I clamped the two templates together and drilled two holes in them to use to secure the template to the blank. The screw holes wont be visible once the top and bottom are attached.


I sprayed the bottom of the template with grey primer.


The template has been secured to the blank ready for routing.


But first I want to remove some of the material with a large bit on the drill stand.


Ready to start routing now, the thickness of the blank is 1 1/4" thick and really a telecaster needs to be 1 3/4" thick so I am going to add a 1/4" front and back.  So I can route all the way through the body blank.


Then I noticed all my router bits have the bearing at the end of the bit rather than where the shaft meets the cutting area... So until I get the correct bit I had to route the basic shape by eye as close to the template as I could get, then once all the way through I turned the blank upside down so the bearing could finally do its job.  One half complete - I will do the other half tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment