Saturday 4 May 2013

Telecaster Project - 6 - Jigs... The first of Many?

I spent the morning tidying up my garage, my workspace has become a little disorganised to say the least!

I need to flatten the blank so I have too good surfaces to use as the front and back, I had took some of the main bumps off with my hand plane but I wanted both sides as flat as possible.  With no access to a thicknesser / planer I had to come up with another solution.


I had read about a router planer jig so I decided to make one.  It consists of to parallel beams which 'float' the router above the blank.  After some careful laying our and some careful drilling I completed the jig and used it on both sides of the blank taking several passes lowering the router bit a little at a time until I was happy the surface was flat.


It certainly brings the grain patten out.  I like the grain and knot patten in the picture above so I decided that it will make a good looking back for the guitar.

I gave both sides a quick sand and then marked a centre line on the top and traced round the blank


I want to route out a fair bit of material from the body so I drew a rough sketch defining the areas to clean out.  I need to decide now if I route this freehand or make a guide template.

No comments:

Post a Comment