Tuesday 14 May 2013

Telecaster Project - 18 - Solid Body Telecaster to Thinline

I finally committed to an f-hole design for my Telecaster body.  I wanted to use my Jigsaw to cut the hole but it hadn't occurred to me that the blade is designed to cut 65mm into wood meaning it would have tried to cut through the back as well!  I tried some different ways of raising the Jigsaw but in the end I drilled holes around the perimeter and then chiselled out the rest.


After some considerable filing and sanding I finally had something that looks cool, stylish and original (in my opinion!).  People who know me will also know that I love Star Trek... could there be some subconscious design inspiration?


I am going to have to think of a better way of cutting the control cavity I think, although I have ordered a new, smaller router bit which should arrive in the next couple of days.

I have decided that I will fill the grain with sanding sealer and then finish with lacquer and ultimately polish to a high gloss finish, although you never know...

No comments:

Post a Comment