Friday 10 May 2013

Telecaster Project - 14 - Body Taking Shape

OK all the clamps are off and the seal looks good all the way round.  The next step is to route the top and bottom overhang flush with the body.


With the body clamped to mu workmate and a bearing guided bit in the router it was not too much trouble.


And all finished... Now for some serious sanding as scraping to smooth everything level around the perimeter.


Now should I bind the edges top and bottom?  The top and bottom are Oak laminated MDF... I'm not trying to hide the fact that this is a prototype using scraps I had in the garage. I'm also not trying to pass this as an original Fender Telecaster but I would like to practice the technique and I think it will look good with a white or cream binding as as contrast to the Oak.


The other choice of course is to paint the whole thing a solid  colour, but I think it would be a shame to hide all that lovely pine end grain.


Yes natural is definitely the way to go...


I still haven't decided what shape to make the cut out, I'm definitely not going for the traditional f-hole.


It is very therapeutic sanding the edge,  knowing that the better job I do here, the better the final finish will be.  That doesn't stop me from wanting to rush to get this finished though!

No comments:

Post a Comment