Thursday 9 May 2013

Stratocaster Project - 1 - Out Of The Box

OK, I know I already have a couple of other project already on the go (The Epiphone Les Paul refinish and the Telecaster project) but there is always room on the bench for one more!  This was a gift from my wife on my birthday back in March.  I wanted to wait for the weather to improve before I started and also wanted to practice my finishing on the Epiphone Les Paul Special Model.


So this is the kit, made by Chord.  It's obviously a right handed Fender Stratocaster copy and includes the body, neck all hardware and a loaded scratch plate (white).  I picked up a pearlescent pick guard from ebay and so I now have a spare! (Next project?)


The body is sealed and sanded smooth straight out of the box.  I have to say the finish is almost perfect but I did find one or two imperfections which I have filled and then given the body a couple more coats of sanding sealer all over.


I can see myself removing the 'chord' decals and adding my own at some stage.  The neck appears to be straight and of a very high standard of workmanship, although there are a few little knocks which will require attention later.


My two pick guards, pearlescent and plain white. At least I have a starting point for my next build using the spare!


A quick look at the main components put together, This would look wonderful left natural but It's not what I have planned for this body.


So there it is hanging up drying from its couple of coats of grain filler / sanding sealer. You can see where I marked the obvious imperfections.

No comments:

Post a Comment